hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Rajiv Chittajallu <raj...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Dedicated disk for operating system
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:15:10 GMT
Ted Dunning wrote on 08/10/11 at 10:40:30 -0700:
>To be specific, taking a 100 node x 10 disk x 2 TB configuration with drive
>MTBF of 1000 days, we should be seeing drive failures on average once per
>day.  With 1G ethernet and 30MB/s/node dedicated to re-replication, it will
>just over 10 minutes to restore replication of a single drive and will take
>just over 100 minutes to restore replication of an entire machine.

You are assuming that only one good node is used to restore replication for
all the blocks on the failed drive. Which is very unlikely. With
replication factor of 3, you will have at least 2 nodes to choose from
in the worst case and much more in a standard cluster.

And when you are having more spindles, 6+, one would probably consider
using the second GigE port, which is standard on most of the commodity
gear out there.