hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Christian Schäfer <syrious3...@yahoo.de>
Subject Hadoop Case Studies with interactive applications...an antagonism?
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 13:06:10 GMT
Hi Hadoopians,

I'm a noob in hadoop (what a rhyme) ....and got some questions relating to the
white papers posted on cloudera.com as follows:

  in IQT  QUARTERLY: HADOOP: Scalable, Flexible Data Storage  and Analysis - By
Mike Olson

    I got an antagonism when comparing case studies and the following pros&cons
of hadoop.

    pros: hadoop(M/R) mostly used in batch operation (running mins or hours to
complete)
    cons: hadoop(M/R) not usable for interactive applications

    and the case study: OpenPDC where it is used for monitoring and to be able
to react quickly:
        "Close monitoring and rapid response to changes in the state of the grid
allow utilities to minimize or prevent blackouts,"

    another case study from "Ten Common Hadoopable Problems - Real-World Hadoop
Use Cases":
        "Fast detection allows the bank to protect itself from considerable
losses."

If there is a better non-commercial place to ask this questions please let me
know.

Background: I'm intending to set up a system for another domain where lots of
sensordata need to be stored
and queried to implement monitoring an detect problem situations

kind regards
Christian