hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: hadoop-0.23
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 20:28:05 GMT

On Aug 18, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

>> I propose to do it noon of the coming Monday (Aug 22).
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I assume we will make sure the HDFS mavenization is in before then?
> Tom said he intends to commit it tomorrow, but if something comes up
> and it's not committed, let's make sure mavenization happens before we
> branch.

Yes, I assume it will be done too. I see a flurry of activity from Alejandro, Tom and Luke
that end - I'm happy to help in any manner to ensure it goes in before.

> Also, what will be the guidelines for committing a change to 0.23
> branch? Is it "bug fix only" or are we still allowing improvements?
> Given how recently MR2 was merged, I imagine there will be a lot of
> things that aren't strictly bugs that we will really want to have in
> our next release. I also have a couple of HDFS patches (eg the new
> faster CRC on-by-default) that I'd like to get into 23.

There aren't strict policies - as far as I remember both Suresh and a certain Todd (know him?
*smile*) volunteered to provide that oversight for HDFS, I don' t plan to be very strict.
However, it will be a good policy to ask folks to justify why it belongs in 23, and we make
a judgement call together.

Makes sense?

Arun