hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Rottinghuis, Joep" <jrottingh...@ebay.com>
Subject RE: follow up Hadoop mavenization work
Date Sat, 30 Jul 2011 00:09:58 GMT
Thanks for the replies.

To elaborate on why I want to build on a server w/o Internet access:
Build should not reach out to Internet and grab jars from unverified sources w/o md5 hash
check etc.
The resulting code will run on a large production cluster with sensitive/private data. From
a compliance and risk perspective I want to be able to control which jars get pulled in from
where.

Manual verification of ~/.m2, tar.gz and scp to build server is an acceptable workaround.
Maven proxy simply bypasses the firewalls which were there for good reason.

Looking forward to try this all on trunk after patch is committed. Until then I'll work on
making this function on 0.22.

Thanks,

Joep

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:stevel@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 8:32 AM
To: general@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: follow up Hadoop mavenization work

On 29/07/11 03:10, Rottinghuis, Joep wrote:
> Alejandro,
>
> Are you trying the use-case when people will want to locally build a consistent set of
common, hdfs, and mapreduce without the downstream projects depending on published Maven SNAPSHOTS?
> I'm working to get this going on 0.22 right now (see HDFS-843, HDFS-2214, and I'll have
to file two equivalent bugs on mapreduce).

> Part of the problem is that the assumption was that people always compile hdfs against
hadoop-common-0.xyz-SNAPSHOT.
> When applying one patch at a time from Jira attachments that may be fine.
>
> If I set up a Jenkins build I will want to make sure that first hadoop-common builds
with a new build number (not snapshot), then hdfs against that same build number, then mapreduce
against hadoop-common and hdfs.
> Otherwise you can get a situation when the mapreduce build is still running and hadoop-common
build has already produced a new snapshot build.

> Local caching in ~/.m2 and ~/.ivy2 repos makes this situation even more complex.

One option here is to set up >1 virtual machine (The centos 6.0 minimal are pretty lightweight)
and delegate work to these jenkins instances, forcing different branches into different virtual
hosts, and jenkins to build stuff serially on a single machine. That ensures a strict order
and isolates you. You can even have ant targets to purge the repository caches.

I have some Centos VMs set up to do release work on my desktop as it ensures that I never
release under-development code; the functional test runs don't interfere with my desktop test
runs, and I can keep editing the code. It works OK, if you have enough RAM and HDD to spare

-steve