hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop´s Internationalization
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:04:04 GMT

On Jul 2, 2011, at 7:23 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> On 01/07/2011 17:23, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
>> Unique error codes sounds like a very good place to start!
>

> we could call them "URLs" and have things at the end of them
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ConnectionRefused

	This is how Sun (I refuse to acknowledge that "other company") built SMF.  It would give
you a short error, but provide a URL that would point to sun.com for more info.  (i.e. http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-05
, now locked behind Larry's boat money generator).

	In the Hadoop case, we would likely want to provide a base set that folks could install and
modify locally.  For example, what may be an XYZ error generically may be more indicative
of a problem with our local SerDe's.  Putting it on the wiki would be a good thing, yes, but
I worry about local tribal knowledge spilling into it.

	I dunno. Just thinking out loud.