hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HDFS-1623 branching strategy
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 00:55:22 GMT
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 5:40 PM, sanjay Radia <sanjay@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Jakob Homan <jghoman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Eli wrote:
>>
>> This is the *branch* policy, which if I understand correctly, the
>> branch maintainer sets.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eli
>

> I do not understand the new role "branch maintainer". If this is to make decisions about
the branch, content and direction, I am not in favor of that. I think it should be a collaborative
process for folks working on the HA branch and not an individuals call.

Completely agree - that should have read "branch maintainers" plural -
didn't mean to suggest a new role. Any committer should be able to
checking, help merge, etc a feature branch. This worked well for
branch-0.20-append.

Btw, we started [1] but never finished the adoption of the release
manager (RM) role, we should do that.  I've seen "release master" used
in a couple of places, which I assume is synonymous.

1. http://www.mail-archive.com/general@hadoop.apache.org/msg01458.html

>  HA is a collaborative project based around the design that we published. Aaron has
volunteered to help merge trunk into this branch; others working on the project can also
>  help in merging. When it is finally merged into trunk we will go through the normal
rules (as proposed by Jakob, 3+1s etc., assuming it passes).

That's my understanding as well.

Thanks,
Eli