hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HDFS-1623 branching strategy
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:41:48 GMT
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Suresh Srinivas <suresh@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply...
>
> My concern is not about creating a branch. Using a branch is some thing
> we have been doing for a long time for feature development and it is
> effective. Infact I am eager for branch for HA to be created, to start
> submitting the patches I am currently working on.
>
> Here are some of my concerns:
> Commit-then-review:
> I have same concerns expressed by Jakob, about commit and review. My
> preference is to review before commit. Reviewing incremental changes is much
> more effective than reviewing one mega patch during merge of a branch.

In CTR you still review individual changes, it just means you can do
the review after the change was committed (and you address review
feedback in a follow-on patch).  I'm actually happy to do RTC, I
prefer that as well. As long as each change is individually reviewed
I'm fine either way.

> From what I also know, HDFS-2064 HA is being planned for release 0.22.

That's up to the 0.22 RM. It's not a blocker and it's unclear if we'll
have a 0.22 release.

> At an early glance, this seems to be closely tied to Backup node and not
> generic enough (will post comments to jira). Given that this is added to
> 0.22,
> how does that impact the current HA plans and backward compatibility
> requirements?

I don't think the 1632 work needs to gate 2064, and vice versa.

> Release 0.23:
> Initial plan was to make HA part of post 0.23 (as discussed in contributors
> meetup). It would be good to work in that direction and commit changes to
> HDFS-1623 branch instead of making changes in the trunk, to ensure stability
> of the trunk. HADOOP-7380 went into trunk. It would be better for such
> changes
> to go into HDFS-1623 branch. We should merge this branch post 0.23 into
> trunk.

Per the summit and previous discussion the current plan is still to
get HA into a minor release of 0.23 right?

Thanks,
Eli