hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: MR1 next steps
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 17:11:20 GMT
On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Eli Collins wrote:
>> Is the plan to port all the current MR tests to the new Mini*Cluster classes?
>
> I don't think a straight port is the right way to go - we should stop relying on the
Mini*Clusters for every single test and go the route of unit/mock tests. The Mini*Clusters
add too much overhead and aren't the right way forward, IMO.

Agree, a lot of what the mini mr tests are trying to cover would be
better written (and 10x faster) as unit tests.  If MR2 has the
equivalent coverage in unit tests then we should then we should remove
the old MiniMR tests.

> IAC, we can separate these discussions. So, for now, I propose we just remove the bin/*
scripts for the purposes of this discussion. Makes sense?

Sure, filed MAPREDUCE-2736. We can discuss specifics there.

Thanks,
Eli