hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Jakob Homan <jgho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HDFS-1623 branching strategy
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:05:51 GMT
Deep sigh.  I'm not blocking RTC on the branch.  The branch maintainer
gets to decide that.  I'm not personally a big fan of it, but since
it's not my branch, it's not my call.
> Either way the final patch to trunk goes
> by the normal rules that any patch to trunk follows.

This is where I disagree.  RTC on individual commits increases the
chance for mistakes to slip in.  Branches that are the product of RTC
should have a stricter criteria for being applied to trunk,
particularly since they (nearly by definition) involve huge changes to
critical code paths.  That's why I've suggested (and all I've
suggested, contrary to what others have said) is that the final merge
get three +1s rather than the regular +1.  This is a good application
of "trust but verify" that will not slow down the development process
but will increase the chances that the class of bugs amenable to human
review will be lessened.
-jg