hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: hadoop-0.23
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 01:10:42 GMT

On Jul 13, 2011, at 6:01 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>  It's looking like trunk is moving along rapidly - it's about time to start thinking
of the next release to unlock all of the goodies there.

>>  As the RM, my current thinking is that after we merge NextGen MR (MR-279) and the
HDFS-1073 branch into trunk we should be good to create the hadoop-0.23 branch.

>>  Thoughts?
>>

> Sounds great.
>
> In order to support HA in a dot release we'll need to merge in the
> branch for HDFS-1623, but that shouldn't hold up branching for 23.
> Sanjay mentioned this as the summit but I wanted to double check with
> you, you support a dot release of 23 with HA? The hope is that we
> support one of the multiple options HDFS-1623 allows for, and that we
> introduce an incompatible change only when absolutely necessary.

+1

I'd strongly be in favour of a dot release of 0.23 with HA - this would be a step forward
for Hadoop.

Let's discuss the specifics a little longer down the road once HA is further along? Makes
sense?

thanks,
Arun