hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hadoop-0.23
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 01:22:42 GMT

On Jul 13, 2011, at 6:01 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> In order to support HA in a dot release we'll need to merge in the
> branch for HDFS-1623, but that shouldn't hold up branching for 23.
> Sanjay mentioned this as the summit but I wanted to double check with
> you, you support a dot release of 23 with HA?

	Please don't do this.  0.23 is a MASSIVE change.  Introducing even more instability in the
form of a new major feature in the middle of a release that is bound to be full of problems
is not a good idea.   Anyone who runs a production system will basically ignore 0.23 because
it simply won't be stable enough.  (It *always* takes a .1 or .2 or even a .3 before things
are actually rock solid.)

	I'd much rather see 0.24 have HA than 0.23.