hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HDFS-1623 branching strategy
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:00:25 GMT
On 08/07/11 22:03, sanjay Radia wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Allen Wittenauer wrote:
>

>> On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:22 PM, Suresh Srinivas wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Aaron for sending the details from the meeting that Sanjay
>>> had arranged.
>>

>> 	What meeting?
>>

> After we posted the design document, some HDFS contributors who participated in the Jira
 reached out
> to have a high bandwidth discussion to get clarification on the design document in HDFS
1623.
> Comments  posted in the jira captured the feedback on the document.
> An updated version of the document will incorporate the feedback.
> Participants were suresh, kan, sanjay, jitendra, eli, todd, aaron m, dhruba, dmytro.
>

> The agenda for the last contributors's meeting included a presentation of the HA design;
unfortunately we ran out of time. I have requested a slot to present the design at the next
HUG.

It'd be nice if some of these discussions were held online, so that
those of us who don't live in the Bay Area can take part. Otherwise
there's the risk of partitioning the community, and the CAP theorem says
that's bad news. We end up inconsistent or not willing to participate in
the project (i.e. unavailable)

It also leads to situations that I've seen in other ASF projects where
one large organisation would make decisions, execute and announce before
anyone else knew what was going on.

I can offer some shared desktop tools to share slideware (works on
windows, Mac and Linux), but the voice side of that tends to go to
voice-conf. If we could use skype or google + conf calling (or similar),
that would give us the voice.

We could then hold intermittent RT meetings. There are still TZ issues;
in past standards work the conf time rolled between times that worked
well for EU, US and asia, such that two continents at a time could
participate