hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop´s Internationalization
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:33:17 GMT
On 14/07/11 22:04, Allen Wittenauer wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2011, at 7:23 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> On 01/07/2011 17:23, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
>>> Unique error codes sounds like a very good place to start!
>>

>> we could call them "URLs" and have things at the end of them
>> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ConnectionRefused
>

> 	This is how Sun (I refuse to acknowledge that "other company") built SMF.  It would
give you a short error, but provide a URL that would point to sun.com for more info.  (i.e.
http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-05 , now locked behind Larry's boat money generator).

yeah, changing URLS is one of the weaknesses of that design. Oracle
managed to break all the javadoc links to JDK docs

> 	In the Hadoop case, we would likely want to provide a base set that folks could install
and modify locally.  For example, what may be an XYZ error generically may be more indicative
of a problem with our local SerDe's.  Putting it on the wiki would be a good thing, yes, but
I worry about local tribal knowledge spilling into it.

It's strength is it stays up to date.

I've been proposing adding this to connection operations