hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 01:15:04 GMT

On Jun 14, 2011, at 5:48 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
> In short, an Apache Hadoop release with a backport of PMC approved
> code or critical security fix is not powered by Hadoop, it is Hadoop,
> while a new product that contains or runs atop Hadoop is powered by
> Hadoop.
>
> Reasonable?

	I'd say: Security, yes.  Features, no.

	The reason I say this is because there have been many, many, many posts in the -user mailing
lists where people are confused as to what versions have what features because their local
branch has a back ported fix.  [I think I run out of fingers if I count how many times just
the mapred.map.child.java.opts was said to be "in 20" prior to the 0.20.203 release...]

	This also adds pressure to do timely releases. :)