hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Rottinghuis, Joep" <jrottingh...@ebay.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 04:24:34 GMT
It does make sense to me to distinguish between the case when a company seeks to benefit from
using the Hadoop name for their product and the case when a company uses Hadoop internally
with some minor patches.

For example: large company creates a game-show playing appliance and explains that they have
used Hadoop for some of the learning tasks. Not allowed if they applied more than 3 patches?

Or: company claims they have a large Hadoop deployment and are looking for developers to help
them with their Hadoop development work is not allowed? What's the alternative? Wanted: Powered
by Apache™ Hadoop™ developers?

Also, if thousands of changes are packaged together into one giant patch, is that allowed?

Perhaps a similarity index (such as used by Git to determine if two files are similar enough
to be considered a rename) would make sense? If 98% of the code is the same, would it be Hadoop
if used internally and not sold/marketted as a product?

Cheers,

Joep

From: Eli Collins [eli@cloudera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:23 AM
To: general@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: Apache Brand Management
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2011, at 6:45 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>> Are we really going to go after all the web companies that patch in an
>> enhancement to their current Hadoop build and tell them to stop saying
>> that they are using Hadoop?  You've patched Hadoop many times, should
>> your employer not be able to say they use Hadoop?  I'm -1 on a
>> proposal that does this.
>
>        I think there is a big difference between some company that uses Hadoop with some
patches internally and a company that puts out a distribution for others to use, usually for-profit.

The wiki makes no such distinction. The PMC will apply the rules
equally to all parties.

According to Owen's email if you are using a release of Apache Hadoop
and have applied more than 2 security patches or any backports you are
not using Hadoop.

Thanks,
Eli