hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Rottinghuis, Joep" <jrottingh...@ebay.com>
Subject RE: JIRAs post-"unsplit"
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:35:13 GMT
Project un-split definitely simplifies things.

Todd, if people add a watch based on patches, would they not miss notifictions for those entries
in an earlier phase of their lifecycle?
For example when issues are just reported, discussed and assigned, but no patch has been attached
yet?

A separate HADOOPX Jira project would eliminate such issues.

It does raise another question though: What happens if an issue starts out in one area, and
then turns out to require changes in other areas?
Would one then first create a HADOOP-x, a HDFS-y, or MAPREDUCE-z and then when it turns out
other components are involved a new HADOOPX- referring to such earlier Jira?

Cheers,

Joep

From: Todd Lipcon [todd@cloudera.com]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 1:37 PM
To: general@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: JIRAs post-"unsplit"

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:

> I tend to agree: JIRA separation was the benefit of the split.
>
> I'd rather keep the current JIRA split in effect (e.g. separate JIRA
> projects
> for separate Hadoop components; don't recombine them) and file patches in
> the
> same way (for common, hdfs, mapreduce). If a cross component patch is
> needed
> then HADOOP project JIRA can be used for tracking, patches, etc.

Yea, perhaps we just need the QA bot to be smart enough that it could handle
a cross-project patch attached to HADOOP? Maybe we do something crazy and
make a new HADOOPCROSS jira for patches that affect multiple projects? (just
brainstorming here...)

> Tree-based watch-list seems like a great idea, but won't it narrow the
> scope
> somehow? Are you saying that if I am interested in say
> hdfs/src/c++/libhdfs,
> but a JIRA is open which affects libhdfs and something else (e.g. NameNode)
> will still get the notification?

Right, that's the idea. You'd be added as a watcher (and get notified) for
any patch that touches the area you care about, regardless of whether it
also touches some other areas.

-Todd