hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Thinking about 20.204 and beyond
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:40:14 GMT
On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:39 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> On 18/06/2011 21:22, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> olutely no reason that trunk cannot be packaged for release
>> tomorrow as 0.23.  There may be many reasons why it won't pass a release
>> vote, but we probably aren't going to find them until somebody tries.
>
> One limitation with releases has always been size of cluster testing -where Yahoo!s contributions
have been invaluable. That said, we shouldn't make them an SPOF in the release process; we
should all set up to do some more release testing.

Yes, more testing is better, but if it can't be tested by the dev team
in 72 hours then it doesn't belong in our release process.

Please note that one of the main advantages of open source development
is that the bulk of testing/QA occurs *after* the release.  That's why
labels like alpha/beta/GA are best applied/updated after the version number
has been cut and the software has been proven in real deployments.
If testing on 5000 nodes is important to our customers, then add a
scale-tested metric to the download site so that the customers know
which release package has been tested at what scale -- they will
understand the difference between frequent releases and those fully tested
at scale.  Let them decide which version is best to use for their own needs.

....Roy