hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:26:03 GMT

On Jun 14, 2011, at 3:56 PM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> All,
>    Steve Loughran has done some great work on defining what can be called Hadoop at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Defining%20Hadoop.
After some cleanup from Noirin and Shane, I think we've got a really good base. I'd like a
vote to approve the content (at the current revision 12) and put the content on our web site.

Binding +1:  Arun, Chris, Ian, Owen
Binding -1: Doug, Eli, Todd

Non-binding +1: Allen, Cos, Matt, Steve
Non-binding -1: Ted, Jeff

Well, technically this passed, but we've been encouraged to discuss it more. Personally, I'd
love to get more feedback from Larry about how we should accomplish the goal of getting packagers
to either use Apache Hadoop releases or only use "powered by Hadoop." Clearly there is a significant
difference of opinion about the value of that goal that is unlikely to be resolved by debate.

Having a clearly stated trademark statement on the website will help significantly with contacting
organizations that are mis-using the trademark, so I don't want to postpone this too long.
Let's discuss it for a week and then call a new vote if we think that is merited.

-- Owen