hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: LimitedPrivate and HBase
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 01:23:48 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@apache.org> wrote:

>        These cases don't appear to be about re-classification of an API
> from private to semi-public.  So no, I'm not.  None of these appear to
> answer the base set of question:

In the specific case of HttpServer, this API *used* to be semi-public, then
it was made private as a side effect of another change. (I should know, I'm
the one who made the change that accidentally privatized it... it wasn't for
any thought-out reason)

>        - What is the real criteria for changing an API from private to
> limited?
>        - How "closely related" does a project need to be to get this
> privilege?
>
>        (Yes, I've read the classification docs.  That's too vague.)
>
>        I can tell you feel I'm picking on HBase, especially in light of my
> flat out rejection of the "we want to mmap() blocks" case.  But if this
> reclassification had been with anything else outside of the Hadoop project,
> I would have asked the same thing.  It raises important questions that we as
> a project need to answer.

Nah, I just think these "meta discussions" waste an awful lot of time that's
better spent making real progress on the code, or reviewing the complex
changes where extra eyes really make a big difference.

http://www.bikeshed.com/

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon