hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: LimitedPrivate and HBase
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 18:34:47 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@apache.org> wrote:

>        I have some concerns over the recent usage of LimitedPrivate being opened
up to HBase.  Shouldn't HBase really be sticking to public APIs rather than poking through
some holes?  If HBase needs an API, wouldn't other clients as well?

HBase uses public APIs.  A method we relied on went from protected to
private.  Fixing this brought on the flagging of HttpServer with
LimitedPrivate (HttpServer, the class flagged, is mostly internal to
Hadoop but HBase, because, in part, of its subproject provenance,
extends HttpServer providing its UI reusing Hadoop's log level, thread
dumping, etc., servlets)

The LimitedPrivate aid as I see it is to give folks pause the next
time they mess with access/signatures or, if change is necessary,
they'll know who to give the head-up to that change is coming --
should they choose to do so.

St.Ack