hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 01:15:54 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>   Steve Loughran has done some great work on defining what can be called Hadoop at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Defining%20Hadoop.
After some cleanup from Noirin and Shane, I think we've got a really good base. I'd like a
vote to approve the content (at the current revision 12) and put the content on our web site.

> Clearly, I'm +1.
>
> -- Owen

I'd like to make another suggestion. Currently we call two types of
things powered by Apache Hadoop:

1. Something that runs on Hadoop (eg HBase or Karmasphere)
2. Something that includes Hadoop artifacts/source code

Shouldn't we distinguish between these two, such that the 2nd is not