hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop Java Versions
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 02:33:28 GMT
There are no bandwidth limitations in 0.20.x.  None that I saw at
least.  It was basically bandwidth-management-by-pwm.  You could
adjust the frequency of how many files-per-node were copied.

In my case, the load was HBase real time serving, so it was servicing
more smaller random reads, not a map-reduce. Everyone has their own
use case :-)

-ryan

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Segel, Mike <msegel@navteq.com> wrote:
> That doesn't seem right.
> In one of our test clusters (19 data nodes) we found that under heavy loads we were disk
I/O bound and not network bound. Of course YMMV depending on your ToR switch. If we had more
than 4 disks per node, we would probably see the network being the bottleneck. What did you
set your bandwidth settings in the hdfs-site.xml? ( going from memory not sure of the exact
setting...)

> But the good news... Newer hardware will start to have 10GBe on the motherboard.

> Mike Segel
>
> On Jun 27, 2011, at 7:11 PM, "Ryan Rawson" <ryanobjc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On the subject of gige vs 10-gige, I think that we will very shortly
>> be seeing interest in 10gig, since gige is only 120MB/sec - 1 hard
>> drive of streaming data.  Nodes with 4+ disks are throttled by the
>> network.  On a small cluster (20 nodes), the replication traffic can
>> choke a cluster to death.  The only way to fix quickly it is to bring
>> that node back up.  Perhaps the HortonWorks guys can work on that.
>>
>> -ryan

>>> that should be enough to find problems. I've just moved up to a 6-core 12
>>> thread desktop and that found problems on some non-Hadoop code, which shows
>>> that the more threads you have, and the faster the machines are, the more
>>> your race conditions show up. With Hadoop the fact that you can have 10-1000
>>> servers means that in a large cluster the probability of that race condition
>>> showing up scales well.

>>> Yes, in a large cluster the price of filling the second socket can compare
>>> to a lot of storage, and TB of storage is more tangible. I guess it depends
>>> on your application.
>>>
>>> Regarding Sandy Bridge, I've no experience of those, but I worry that 10
>>> Gbps is still bleeding edge, and shouldn't be needed for code with good
>>> locality anyway; it is probably more cost effective to stay at 1Gbps/server,
>>> though the issue there is the #of HDD/s server generates lots of replication
>>> traffic when a single server fails...
>>>

> The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only
for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication,
or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication
in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of
it from your computer or paper files.