hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 00:48:01 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>   Steve Loughran has done some great work on defining what can be called Hadoop at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Defining%20Hadoop.
After some cleanup from Noirin and Shane, I think we've got a really good base. I'd like a
vote to approve the content (at the current revision 12) and put the content on our web site.

> Clearly, I'm +1.
>
> -- Owen

Thanks for putting this together Steve, good stuff!

Wrt derivative works, it's not clear from the document, but I think we
should explicitly adopt the policy of HTTPD and Subversion that
backported patches from trunk and security fixes are permitted.
Specifically, that cherry-picking changes from trunk or release
branches and, in general, any code that's been subject to lazy
consensus approval by the PMC does not make you a derivative work. For
example, RedHat backports [1] to Apache HTTP and of course still calls
it Apache HTTP.

In short, an Apache Hadoop release with a backport of PMC approved
code or critical security fix is not powered by Hadoop, it is Hadoop,
while a new product that contains or runs atop Hadoop is powered by
Hadoop.

Reasonable?

Thanks,
Eli