hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Hoping to merge HDFS-1073 branch soon
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 07:11:59 GMT
Hey all,

Work on the HDFS-1073 branch has been progressing steadily, and I believe
we're coming close to the point where it can be merged. To briefly summarize
the status:
- NameNode and SecondaryNameNode are both fully working and have undergone
some stress/fault testing in addition to a over 3000 lines worth of new unit
- Most of the existing unit tests have been updated, though a few more need
some small tweaks (HDFS-2101)
- The BackupNode and CheckpointNode are not currently working, though I am
working on it locally and making good progress (HDFS-1979)
- There are a few various and sundry small improvements that should probably
be done before release, but I think could be done either before or after
merge (eg HDFS-2104)

Given this, I am expecting that we can merge this into trunk by the end of
July if not earlier, as soon as the BN/CN work is complete. If you are
hoping to review the code or tests before merge time, this is your early
warning! Please do so now!

P.S. I will also be giving a short talk about the motivations and current
status of this project at Friday's contributor meeting, for those who are
able to attend. If we're lucky, maybe even a demo!
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera