hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 02:32:36 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 18:15, Eli Collins <eli@cloudera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
>> All,
>>   Steve Loughran has done some great work on defining what can be called Hadoop
at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Defining%20Hadoop. After some cleanup from Noirin and Shane,
I think we've got a really good base. I'd like a vote to approve the content (at the current
revision 12) and put the content on our web site.

>> Clearly, I'm +1.
>>
>> -- Owen
>
> I'd like to make another suggestion. Currently we call two types of
> things powered by Apache Hadoop:
>
> 1. Something that runs on Hadoop (eg HBase or Karmasphere)

To be completely precise Karmasphere doesn't 'run on Hadoop'. Their
products "integrate with a variety of Hadoop distributions and related
technologies..." as you can see here
http://karmasphere.com/Miscellaneous/overview.html. Although in case
of HBase you right ;)

Cos