hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Tom White <tom.e.wh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bigtop Proposal
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:01:13 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Ted Dunning <tdunning@maprtech.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> For those people who aren't on the Apache Incubator mailing lists, Tom
>> White has proposed "BigTop", which is the tooling to integrate the build and
>> testing of the Apache Hadoop technologies, perhaps eventually to have
>> coordinated releases.
>>

> I will comment on the proposal directly as well, but coordinated releases
> would be a disaster.  Mahout, for one, should not have to wait for Hadoop to
> have a release.  We are already unhappy that we only get two releases a year
> and want to up that to four.
>
> Much better is to have a directed acyclic dependency graph with coherent
> versioning.  That allows projects to stay independent, but still express
> version requirements.

I agree. Bigtop would use the releases that the upstream projects have
made - it cannot impose new requirements on them like coordinated
releases. Any bugs that are uncovered would be submitted to the
upstream project, for release there.

I'm going to clarify the text in the proposal on this. Thanks for
pointing it out Ted.

Cheers,
Tom