hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:42:36 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Eli Collins <eli@cloudera.com> wrote:
> But Yahoo! hasn't.  According to this wiki YDH (0.20.100) would *not*
> be considered Apache Hadoop. For example see HADOOP-6962 which refers
> to 0.20.9, an internal Yahoo! release, not an official Apache release.
> Are you really comfortable saying Yahoo! doesn't run Hadoop?

This conclusion does not follow. The guidelines prohibit companies
from distributing that software as "Hadoop". It takes no position on
whether a company that modifies a release of Apache Hadoop for its
deployment credits the project.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
> In addition, I think that the limitations on usage are too strict.  For
> instance, if "QuickBooks for Windows" [1] doesn't cause Microsoft to sue
> Intuit, then "Joe's Foo for Apache Hadoop" really shouldn't cause any more
> grief.

This analogy is also inexact. QuickBooks is an application running on
Windows, not a replacement for it. -C