hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Tom White <tom.e.wh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LimitedPrivate and HBase
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 17:27:14 GMT
Looking at current usage in Hadoop, there are only 4 LimitedPrivate
references to HBase (the http, io.retry, ipc, and metrics packages in
Common), and 2 references to Pig (the two LineRecordReader classes in
MapReduce). The other LimitedPrivate references are all to HDFS or
MapReduce. Given that Private means "Intended for use only within
Hadoop itself" (according to the javadoc), we can replace these
references with Private.

We could also change the remaining 6 cases of LimitedPrivate to Public
(note that they are already annotated Evolving or Unstable), and
deprecate LimitedPrivate. Would this allay people's concerns?

Cheers,
Tom

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler
<eric14@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see a proposal circulated to handle this concern in a maintainable way.
>
> On Jun 8, 2011, at 9:17 AM, Andrew Purtell wrote:
>
>>> From: Allen Wittenauer <aw@apache.org>
>>>     OK.  That's make it easier to just
>>> -1 changes like this with reasoning such as "HBase is not a
>>> related project." Then we can go back working on core
>>> Hadoop.
>>
>> Seriously?
>>
>> Forget what I said about filing a JIRA (and working on it) to give HttpServer an
extensibility that possibly would past muster with you.