hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:57:58 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
> On 15/06/11 17:23, Eli Collins wrote:

>>>        I think there is a big difference between some company that uses
>>> Hadoop with some patches internally and a company that puts out a
>>> distribution for others to use, usually for-profit.
>>
>> The wiki makes no such distinction. The PMC will apply the rules
>> equally to all parties.
>>
>> According to Owen's email if you are using a release of Apache Hadoop
>> and have applied more than 2 security patches or any backports you are
>> not using Hadoop.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eli
>
> What you do in house is of no concern to the trademarks and PMC people, but
> naming of public redistributables is -and that's where the confusion of what
> "a distribution of Apache Hadoop" is, because it's gone from weakly defined
> to very vague recently, and that needs to be corrected before people are
> left in a world of confusion.

Steve, I'm on the PMC and it is a concern.  What happens in house
often gets released on github, documented, blogged about, etc. All
this stuff creates confusion about the product and is therefore a
concern of the PMC.

> It's been complicated enough with people posting issues related to the
> Cloudera Distribution including Apache Hadoop, what happens when people
> start posting EMC-enterprise-hadoopish issues, file bugreps against Brisk's
> "Hadoop built on other things" product on the apache JIRA?

The same thing we do today. We point them to another more appropriate forum.

Isn't your proposal w/ the HTTPD/Subversion policy wrt backporting
effective?  Note that it's pretty strict, you have to get your code
committed to a branch that will be released subject to approval by the
PMC.  It's not saying that anyone can do whatever they want to the
Hadoop source and call it Hadoop.

Thanks,
Eli