hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Please join me in welcoming Aaron Myers as the newest Apache Hadoop committer
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 05:18:50 GMT
To Aaron: congrats!

To Jamie, and anyone else wondering how to become a committer, there are
some brief guidelines to how many people in the Apache community see the
role:
http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html

In the end, though, it is a vote by the project's management committee (PMC)
where each member can vote based on the criteria they think will best
benefit the project.

I won't speak for other PMC members, but my top criteria are:
- Do they have good technical skills in general, and also demonstrate good
understanding of some part of our specific codebase? (in other words, can
they effectively review and commit new contributor's work without
introducing bad code or bugs)
- Do they know their limitations? (eg knowing when it's better to let
another committer review a patch because they don't know the possible
ramifications of the change well enough)
- Are they a team player who can compromise even if it means some extra work
for them? (eg adding additional unit tests when asked, changing a design
based on some feedback even if they have to throw away some code, etc)

So, if you or anyone else would like to become a committer, the best way is
to start by showing the qualities above. Here are some concrete steps you
might take as a new contributor:
- subscribe to the "dev" mailing lists and watch for broken Hudson builds.
If you see a test start newly failing, try to investigate which commit broke
it and do your best to debug what might have caused it.
- subscribe to the "user" mailing list and answer other users' questions
(this helps demonstrate that you want to help others and that you know the
product/code well)
- find a bug and submit a patch to fix it. Here's a link to a bunch of
tickets that have been deemed easy enough for new contributors:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+in+(%22HADOOP%22,+%22MAPREDUCE%22,+%22HDFS%22)+and+labels+%3D+%22newbie%22+and+status+%3D+open

If you or anyone else would like any more advice about how best to
contribute, feel free to reach out to me or the dev lists (specific
questions are best!)

Thanks
-Todd

--