hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:13:27 GMT
+1 to what Eli says.  If nobody is running official Hadoop according to this
definition, but everybody thinks that they are running hadoop, then this
definition is a bit out of whack.  The source of the dissonance is related
to the fact that release just don't happen often enough in Hadoop.

In addition, I think that the limitations on usage are too strict.  For
instance, if "QuickBooks for Windows" [1] doesn't cause Microsoft to sue
Intuit, then "Joe's Foo for Apache Hadoop" really shouldn't cause any more
grief.

So I would give a (non-binding) -1 to the policy as stated.

[1]
http://quickbooks.intuit.com/product/accounting_software/windows_financial_management_software.jsp