hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Tom White <tom.e.wh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LimitedPrivate and HBase
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:21:31 GMT
No offense taken.

Sanjay and I chatted offline. We disagree on whether Private should be
scoped to the whole project (Hadoop), or to subprojects (Common, HDFS,
MapReduce). The intent of HADOOP-5073 was for the latter, but I'm not
convinced it buys us anything really, which is why I've been arguing
for the former. However, what we have at the moment in the javadoc is
misleading, so that at least needs clearing up via HADOOP-7391. Thanks
for doing this Sanjay.

I do think (and I think Sanjay agrees with me here) we should move
away from LimitedPrivate access for external projects by creating
public APIs that we are prepared to support (note again that they may
be Evolving or even Unstable) - either by marking existing
(Limited)Private APIs as public, or by creating a new API. We should
do this for the 6 cases I highlighted earlier in the thread.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Sanjay Radia <sradia@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Sanjay Radia wrote:
>> -1
>> I disagree with the proposed changes.
>> I will post a longer email explaining my position and my -1 more
>> clearly after I have had a chance to read all the emails carefully.
>> sanjay
> Please don't take my -1 too strongly.
> It was NOT meant to be offensive. I saw a lot of +1s and wanted to make sure
> that this doesn't turn into a jira and a commit in  few days.
> sanjay

View raw message