hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LimitedPrivate and HBase
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:51:22 GMT

On Jun 9, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Tom White wrote:

> We could also change the remaining 6 cases of LimitedPrivate to Public
> (note that they are already annotated Evolving or Unstable), and
> deprecate LimitedPrivate. Would this allay people's concerns?

Thanks for doing the search Tom.

Rather than just flip them all to public, I'd like to propose the following:

a) LimitedPrivate APIs to non-Hadoop projects are allowed to exist for 1 minor release.
b) When a LimitedPrivate to non-Hadoop project is created, a blocker JIRA for the next release
is created.
c) That JIRA should be used to determine whether the API should go private or public, and
if the latter, what interface changes are required.

This gives us a roadmap to make determinations on whether the LimitedPrivate API was a success
or not and gives us a timeline as to when they go away, rather than just hanging around forever
in a limbo state.

I suspect that most of these will go public anyway, but it would be good to have some documentation
on the how's, why's, etc.  This could also be used to allay the fears of a "bad" public interface.