hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Meil <doug.m...@explorysmedical.com>
Subject RE: LimitedPrivate and HBase (thoughts from an observer)
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 13:53:05 GMT
Hi there-

The following are some thoughts on questions raised in this thread that are more on the Hadoop-core
development process than this particular issue.  Disclosure:  I'm active on the HBase dist-list,
so Hadoop-core folks can take my comments with a pinch or two of salt if required.

Re:  "What is the real criteria for changing an API from private to limited?"

I don't know, but from the perspective of an observer my request to Hadoop-core developers
is to not to over-think this.

Re: "How "closely related" does a project need to be to get this privilege?" / " What is the
criteria by which an API gets opened to something outside of the Hadoop umbrella"

Given the context of the original question, is this debate really necessary?  Everybody knows
that although HBase is a TLP now it grew out of Hadoop (e.g, there's a chapter about HBase
in the Hadoop book, etc.)  It's not like somebody from Hypertable was strong-arming for feature
requests.

Re:  "If it was almost anyone else, it would have sat there.... and *that's* the point where
I'm mainly concerned."

Hadoop-core development has been slow/stalled over the past 2 years, but recent events such
as Yahoo now backing the Apache distro are great signs that velocity will pick up and push
forward.  Forward progress, even with items as small as this, is good.

Re:  "Then we can go back working on core Hadoop."

Hadoop-core is critical to many frameworks in the Hadoop family (Hive, Pig, and yes, HBase),
but software frameworks are only good when utilized and serving the needs of those who use
them.  My request to Hadoop-core developers is to not assume that Core exists as an end to
itself.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!