hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <had...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 04:47:01 GMT

On Jun 16, 2011, at 2:30 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Craig L Russell
> <craig.russell@oracle.com>wrote:
>
>> There's no ambiguity. Either you ship the bits that the Apache PMC has
>> voted on as a release, or you change it (one bit) and it is no longer what
>> the PMC has voted on. It's a derived work.
>>
>> The rules for voting in Apache require that if you change a bit in an
>> artifact, you can no longer count votes for the previous artifact. Because
>> the new work is different. A new vote is required.
>>

> Sorry, but this is just silly. Are you telling me that the httpd package in
> Ubuntu isn't Apache httpd? It has 43 patches applied. Tomcat6 has 17. I'm
> sure every other commonly used piece of software bundled with ubuntu has
> been patched, too. I don't see them calling their packages "Ubuntu HTTP
> server powered by Apache HTTPD". It's just httpd.

well.. for RHEL in the early days of httpd, a configuration that ran on RHEL
would not work on the 'vanilla' httpd.

(they implemented a feature called include which could take a wildcard, which wasn't in the
released version of httpd at the time)

even today.. I can't build redis on my mac as I am using GNU's libtool instead of the one
packaged on the mac.
http://code.google.com/p/redis/issues/detail?id=443

so yes .. even a simple patch makes it derived, because it is different.