hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Thinking about 20.204 and beyond
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:39:05 GMT
On 18/06/2011 21:22, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
olutely no reason that trunk cannot be packaged for release
> tomorrow as 0.23.  There may be many reasons why it won't pass a release
> vote, but we probably aren't going to find them until somebody tries.

One limitation with releases has always been size of cluster testing
-where Yahoo!s contributions have been invaluable. That said, we
shouldn't make them an SPOF in the release process; we should all set up
to do some more release testing. Looking round my house I see that I
have 1 linux desktop, 4 linux laptops (All Ubuntu 10.04) , 2 OS/X
machines and an OLPC, plus three WebOS phones that can take a JVM, all
connected via a netgear N600 router, (ignoring CentOS virtual machine
images). If I can actually bring up a heterogenous cluster here then it
would be a contribution, and I'm sure others have equal messes of home
and work systems that could be used to test bad system configurations.
If successful we can add a netgear 802.11 {a, b, g, n} router to the
list of switches known to work once you get DNS right.

What would be good here is more documentation on how the beta testers
can generate realistic loads to stress our clusters, using the stress
test tools that are already in the codebase. I guess I may start on that
if/when I start playing with the tools.

-Steve