hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:52:26 GMT
On 15/06/11 03:51, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 19:46, Allen Wittenauer<aw@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 14, 2011, at 6:45 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>>> Are we really going to go after all the web companies that patch in an
>>> enhancement to their current Hadoop build and tell them to stop saying
>>> that they are using Hadoop?  You've patched Hadoop many times, should
>>> your employer not be able to say they use Hadoop?  I'm -1 on a
>>> proposal that does this.
>>
>>         I think there is a big difference between some company that uses Hadoop with
some patches internally and a company that puts out a distribution for others to use, usually
for-profit.

> Just as the reminder: this whole conversation has started as a result
> of EMC announcement of 100% compatible version of Apache Hadoop. So,
> Allen's point is right on target here: the above example is simply
> incorrect.

I seem to recall this dicussion starting a bit earlier, with the whole
notion of compatibility, before EMC got involved.

Regarding the vote, I think the discussion here is interesting and
should be finalised before the vote. It's worth resolving the issues.

also: banners, stickers and clothing? Can I have T-shirts saying "I
broke the hadoop build" with the logo on, or should it be "I broke the
Apache Hadoop build"?