hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LimitedPrivate and HBase (thoughts from the build and test world)
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:00:46 GMT
On 06/09/2011 08:23 PM, Stack wrote:
> Nice reality check and thanks for the how it was addressed elsewhere Steve.
>
> As you say, it sounds like a large undertaking but it would be a sweet
> service for the downstreamers.

as an aside, the thing that usually prevents you using Java apps as
libraries is random calls to System.exit(). Hadoop does that; when I
brought up nodes in-VM I'd catch those calls in a security manager,
convert to RuntimeExceptions and throw them up the stack. IMO it'd be
better for the whole hadoop stack to do this rather than have random
threads take down the VMs, which is a debugging nightmare