hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Segel, Mike" <mse...@navteq.com>
Subject Re: Is this just bluster?
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:23:25 GMT
It depends on what you mean by bluster.

There isn't anything really new about the concept of distributed file systems or parallel
processing frameworks.

My take is that LexisNexus wants to expand the market for their existing solution.
Not so much bluster. However, definitely some marketing spin and their interpretation of things.

It's interesting in that some of their comments about some of the issues with Hadoop echo
the comments made by others like maprtech, EMC, IBM etc ...

I just don't think that there is going to be much interest in their offerings beyond their
existing customer base. (IMHO) The market is big and as we transition from leading edge/bleeding
edge we will see more fragmentation then in a couple of years consolidation.

Mike Segel

On Jun 16, 2011, at 8:49 AM, "David Scott Williams" <david.scott.williams.nc@gmail.com>
wrote:

> http://gigaom.com/cloud/lexisnexis-open-sources-its-hadoop-killer/