hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Thinking about 20.204 and beyond
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:55:47 GMT
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the clarification. I will endeavor to keep marketing to a minimum. I always try
to keep my actions as a manager and project contributor consistent with our community norms.
 When one is speaking as the manager of a team of contributors pronouns get complicated.

I've gotten lots of feedback that folks would like a better understanding of what I plan to
ask team members to invest in. And lots of questions about why we don't do various things
others would like to see done.  My goal is simply to be transparent. That should allow all
of us to make better decisions as a community.

Given the number of questions I have gotten on why "yahoo" chooses to do sustaining I think
the background is needed for an informed debate.

I expect yahoo team members will continue to make branches and call release votes. I hope
that sharing my thinking, intentions and motivations up front reduces conflict.

---
E14 - typing on glass

On Jun 18, 2011, at 1:23 PM, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2011, at 11:50 PM, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
>
>> Along with starting a new release off the mainline (see previous mail), the Yahoo!
team plans to continue producing sustaining releases off the Hadoop with security branch,
such as 0.20.203 .  I'm writing this email to outline our plans, explain Yahoo's motivation
for supporting this work and request feedback and hopefully your endorsement.  This initiative
stems from Yahoo's commitment to do its hadoop work in Apache and discontinue the Yahoo Distribution
of Hadoop (http://yhoo.it/i9Ww8W).