hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:37:52 GMT

On Jun 15, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> I've spoken with ops teams at many companies,  I am not aware of
> anyone who runs an official release (with just 2 security patches). By
> this definition many of the most valuable contributors to Hadoop,
> including Yahoo!, Cloudera, Facebook, etc are not using Hadoop.  Is
> that really the message we want to send? We expect the PMC to enforce
> this equally across all parties?

This is only a recent (less than 2 yrs) phenomenon with hadoop-0.20
onwards.

I've been on the project for over 5 years now and I've run official
Apache Hadoop releases at Y! for the majority of that time. From
hadoop-0.1 to hadoop-0.18.

IAC, getting everyone to run an official release isn't an anti-goal.
And, as Steve points out, this really doesn't concern internal
deployments - public redistributables is something I worry about as a
PMC member with my Apache hat on.

+1 for the current version (Defining Hadoop (last edited 2011-06-09
02:56:39 by OwenOMalley)

thanks,
Arun