hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: Thinking about the next hadoop mainline release
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:30:13 GMT
Hi Ryan, Eric,

Just looked at those two for the first time in awhile.
- HDFS-918 (now 1323?) doesn't seem like it's too controversial, but does seem like there's
a bit of validation left.
- HDFS-347 has a long, contentious history.  However, it seems that most of the strong objections
have been cleared up.  Is there anyone left who objects to it, now that it doesn't appear
to bypass security?

Finally, I see Todd has posted HDFS-2080 claiming some sizable performance improvements.
Would it be possible that could finish in time for release?

As a site which heavily uses random reads and high-throughput reads, I'm very excited for
this release!

Brian

On Jun 17, 2011, at 2:36 AM, Ryan Rawson wrote:

> HDFS-918 and HDFS-347 are absolutely critical for random read
> performance.  The smarter sites are already running HDFS-347 (I guess
> they aren't running "Hadoop" then?), and soon they will be testing and
> running HDFS-918 as well.  Opening 1 socket for every read just isn't
> really scalable.
>
> -ryan
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler
> <eric14@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'd like to start a conversation on mainline planning and the next release of Apache
Hadoop beyond 0.22.

>> The Yahoo! Hadoop team has been working hard to complete several big Hadoop projects,
including:

>> - HDFS Federation [HDFS-1052]
>>  - Already merged into trunk
>>
>> - Next Generation Map-Reduce [MR-279]
>>  - Passing most tests now and discussing merging into trunk
>>
>> - The merging of our previous work on Hadoop with security into mainline [http://yhoo.it/i9Ww8W]
>>  - This is mostly done, but owen and others are doing a scrub to close out the remaining
issues

>> All of these projects are now reaching a place where we would like to combine them
with the good work already in 0.22 and put out a new apache release, perhaps 0.23.  We think
the best way to accomplish that is to finish the merge in the next few weeks and then cut
a release from trunk.

>> Yahoo stands ready to help us (the Apache Hadoop Community) turn this new release
into a stable release by running it through its 9 month test and burn in process.  The result
of that will be another stable release such as 0.18, 0.20 or 0.20.203 (hadoop with security).
 We have Yahoo!s support for this substantial investment because this new release will have
a great combination of new features for small and very large sites alike:
>>  - New Write Pipeline - HBase support [also in 0.21 & 0.22]
>>  - Federation - Scale up to larger clusters and the ability to experiment with new
namenode approaches
>>  - Next Gen MapReduce - Scaleup, performance improvements, ability to experiment
with new processing frameworks

>> I think this effort will produce a great new Apache Hadoop release for the community.
 I'm starting this thread to collect feedback and hopefully folks' endorsement for merging
in MR-279 and putting together this new release.  Feedback please?