hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Thinking about 20.204 and beyond
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 20:22:14 GMT
On Jun 17, 2011, at 11:50 PM, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:

> Along with starting a new release off the mainline (see previous mail), the Yahoo! team
plans to continue producing sustaining releases off the Hadoop with security branch, such
as 0.20.203 .  I'm writing this email to outline our plans, explain Yahoo's motivation for
supporting this work and request feedback and hopefully your endorsement.  This initiative
stems from Yahoo's commitment to do its hadoop work in Apache and discontinue the Yahoo Distribution
of Hadoop (http://yhoo.it/i9Ww8W).

Eric,

Please make an effort to understand that we act at Apache as individuals.
That includes you and your team.  Yes, everyone greatly appreciates the
fact that Yahoo! pays your salaries.  Nevertheless, here you are called
an individual named Eric.

Companies do not have motivations.  You do.  There is nothing wrong with
each and every individual here being motivated, at least partly, by what
their boss(es) consider the right path forward.  But you don't have to
sell it as something Yahoo! is doing, and you don't need to send marketing
messaging to the development lists at Apache.  Just be yourself and
represent yourself.

Anyone on the PMC can be an RM.  A package can be rolled at any time, and
a release vote on that package can be called at any time.  While it makes
sense for the individual planning to RM a release to announce their plans,
doing so does not in any way form the direction the product is headed,
nor does it exclude anyone else from being RM of their own release process.

There is absolutely no reason that trunk cannot be packaged for release
tomorrow as 0.23.  There may be many reasons why it won't pass a release
vote, but we probably aren't going to find them until somebody tries.

....Roy