hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Thinking about the next hadoop mainline release
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 04:42:04 GMT
Allen,

Can we pls focus on the next release here, on this thread?

Please provide your valuable f/b to the RM abt stuff you'd like to see in the next release.

thanks,
Arun

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 18, 2011, at 7:45 AM, "Allen Wittenauer" <aw@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2011, at 7:02 PM, Rajiv Chittajallu wrote:
>
>> Allen Wittenauer wrote on 06/17/11 at 13:27:43 -0700:
>>>
>>>    Actually, I was just reminded about the complete disaster that is metrics.
 So while it may be pseudo-stable, it  isn't actually usable for anyone but Yahoo!.

>> Did you try to use the new metrics framework? Are you complaining
>> cause there is no port of ganglia metrics module to metrics V2?
>
>    Like 80-90%+ of the Hadoop sites that gather metrics, yes, we use Ganglia.
>
>> Its pluggable and you can choose to disable it if you want to.
>> All metrics and status information is available via jmx.
>> Multiple sinks and filters, more importantly you can refresh
>> metrics configs without restarting the process.
>
>    But first we need to switch to a new metrics infrastructure.  This wouldn't have been
so bad if the release notes actually had said "You know your current metrics system? Yeah,
toss it because we just broke everything."

>    I'm certainly not a fan of Ganglia, but this sort of unexpected breakage is very,
very bad.