hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 21:25:44 GMT

On May 16, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> Allen,
>
> There are few things in Hadoop in CDH that are not in trunk,
> branch-20-security, or branch-20-append.  The stuff in this category
> is not major (eg HADOOP-6605, better JAVA_HOME detection).

	But that's my point:  when is it no longer Apache Hadoop?  How major does a change need to
be under the line?    In the case of CDH2 and 3, in order to test it out, I actually had to
back out some of Cloudera's "improvements" in order to even test whereas I didn't under Apache.
 Is this another place where we only seem to care about APIs and say to hell with the rest
of the stack?