hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Milind Bhandarkar <mbhandar...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: Discussions - Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc0
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 04:15:03 GMT

>It is perfectly reasonable for Doug (or anyone else) to vote
>on a release based on a lack of version history, adequate
>description of the sweet meats, or anything else that others
>might consider non-technical.  This is a release vote!
>It does not require consensus.  It requires minimal review
>(usually meaning three +1s) and a majority opinion of those
>on the PMC who choose to review the proposed release and vote.

Roy,

Thanks for reminding everyone that a release does not require consensus.

Regarding this release, I think anyone who runs a multi-tenant Hadoop
cluster will appreciate the user-limits feature that goes a long way to
ensure that an errant job does not take the entire cluster down. Your
operations and support people will thank you for deploying this release.

Recently I was discussing with operations folks at a company that operates
a Hadoop cluster based on a commercial distribution of Hadoop, and they
were excited to hear that they will have a way of making sure that their
cluster will not be taken down by an errant user/job, because that's one
big fear that keeps them awake.

FWIW, I am +1 for this release.

Arun, can you include a document that gives more details about what the
limits are, and how to modify your jobs to stay below these limits (I know
it is a cut-paste for you :-)?

- milind