hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc0
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 20:07:16 GMT
Doug,

On May 2, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> The patch selection process for this branch did not appear to be a
> community process.  A massive patch set was committed en-masse with no
> public discussion before or after about its specific composition.

Lets review:

# You proposed to release off the Yahoo security patchset first in
April, 2010: http://s.apache.org/5Gv
# I started this discussion again in Jan, 2011: http://s.apache.org/uf
# We went through several iterations:
  - I first committed a jumbo patch upon which some reservations were
expressed.
  - Owen went ahead and broke them up to commit individual patches to
incorporate the provided feedback.
# Roy clearly clarified the way forward: http://s.apache.org/tD4
(which Owen has since incorporatedk by breaking into individual
patches).

Your current stance given the history, is surprising, to say the
least... we have already discussed this. It is clear that the
community (including downstream Apache projects like Pig, Hive and
HCatalog) will substantially benefit from an Apache release of this
improved codebase.

thanks,
Arun