hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Aaron T. Myers" <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Release compatibility was Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 05:49:15 GMT
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Devaraj Das <ddas@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> I can't think of any major user-facing incompatibilities other than the
> users having to run a 'kinit' when they are working with a secure Hadoop
> cluster (of course the admins need to do more work in order to set up a
> secure cluster).

By far the most significant incompatibility that I've seen from a user
perspective is that setting hadoop.job.ugi no longer has any effect.
Granted, this interface wasn't used by a large percentage of users, but
those that were using it have no other alternative that is as flexible as
this was. There was discussion about this incompatibility last September on
the mailing lists[1]. The conclusion there was that supporting backward
compatibility for this interface was too difficult, semantically and
technically, to warrant support. This incompatibility is present whether or
not Kerberos support is enabled on the cluster.

I totally agree that the pain of upgrading to 0.20 security was felt
substantially more by admins/operators than by users.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

[1]