hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 21:09:25 GMT
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 16, 2011, at 5:00 AM, Segel, Mike wrote:
>> X represents the set of stable releases.
>> Y represents the set of available patches.
>> C represents the set of Cloudera releases.
>>
>> So if C contains a release X(n) plus a set of patches that is contained in Y,
>> Then does it not have the right to be considered Apache Hadoop?
>> It's my understanding is that any enhancement to Hadoop is made available to Apache
and will eventually make it into a later release...

>        This assumption is probably wrong.  It likely wouldn't be hard to find patches
made in Cloudera Hadoop that have been rejected from Apache Hadoop.  I know some of the code
in Cloudera Hadoop 2 was definitely rejected.  If Cloudera Hadoop 3's lineage is based upon
2...

Allen,

There are few things in Hadoop in CDH that are not in trunk,
branch-20-security, or branch-20-append.  The stuff in this category
is not major (eg HADOOP-6605, better JAVA_HOME detection).

One of the things we and others are busy doing is getting the work
from CDH3 and 20x (formerly YDH) checked into trunk so a future
release won't regress against these 20-based releases.

Most projects in CDH are not heavily patched btw, they're close to an
upstream Apache release.  Hadoop is the exception.
https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/DOC/Downloading+CDH+Releases

Thanks,
Eli