hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Release compatibility was Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 07:00:06 GMT
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Devaraj Das <ddas@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Just so that everyone is on the same page w.r.t the compatibility between
> 20.2 & 20.203 (don't think this is documented anywhere yet)..
>
> The aim of the team working on Hadoop Security at Yahoo! was to make Hadoop
> *secure*, and with *minimal* disruption to existing apps. I can't think of
> any major user-facing incompatibilities other than the users having to run a
> 'kinit' when they are working with a secure Hadoop cluster (of course the
> admins need to do more work in order to set up a secure cluster). Also,
> security can switched off, and all the other enhancements (job limits, etc.)
> are still available.. As per users/Operations/Solutions at Yahoo!,
> 20.security was one of the smoothest upgrades ever.

And I think you guys did a commendable job with this, given the scope of the
project! :)

But there were certainly plenty of bugs introduced along the way that
affected both secure and non-secure, and even now the security-able branches
don't function on any non-Sun JVM.

Again, I think for this particular case, most of the developers agreed on
the risk/reward trade-off, so I didn't want to start a discussion about
security being a good or bad decision to backport on to 0.20.

But, I'd love to know what our framework is for making such decisions in the
future, if we plan to maintain branches with feature backports as part of
Apache. (eg what scope of change requires what type of vote and when)

-Todd